Ex Terra Opes - at the Tarpey Gallery Autumn 2011

This has been set up to record the origination and creation of a body of new art works that I made between September 2010 and the summer of 2011 for an exhibition at the Tarpey Gallery in Castle Donington (opened 16th July).

Monday 14 March 2011

Sometimes the spark just isn't with you...


and whatever you do doesn't seem to work out. And for me at least, when that is happening one starts to question the whole endeavour. Take for example the picture shown here - I was reasonably content with it a couple of weeks back when I made it. In response to the - undoubtedly correct - observation that most of the works were within the same limited scale range it was a simple way of reacting to that. OK the grid is a very obvious trope to employ but the combination of the small informal dabs of colour set against the impassive grey seemed to work for me. Today however, it joined the serried ranks of canvases that all suggested that they lacked purpose or resolution and that whatever intervention I made they , to a man, resisted coming into line. Perhaps it will all look different tomorrow - here's hoping...

No comments:

Post a Comment