Ex Terra Opes - at the Tarpey Gallery Autumn 2011

This has been set up to record the origination and creation of a body of new art works that I made between September 2010 and the summer of 2011 for an exhibition at the Tarpey Gallery in Castle Donington (opened 16th July).

Tuesday 22 March 2011

More (welcome) distractions

More time away from the studio this past weekend...but the trip was well worth it. A wee bit of 'homage' by visiting the Sailor's Reading Room in Southwold as part of a brief trip to Suffolk. Neither I or my wife know this coast at all well so it was pretty much a voyage of discovery. And despite the flatness of it this is beautiful territory - albeit bisected by Sizewell B, a fact that has more resonance at the moment than would usually be the case.

Apart from brief visits (we will be back...) to sites I know only through my acquaintance with 'The Rings Of Saturn' it was a very relaxing couple of days in which there was plenty of reflection on where the project has currently arrived at. I took delivery today of five more of the digital images and they are now being integrated into the whole. Interestingly they seem to look more and more integrated into the canvases and less and less standing out as 'different'. Why is this so? After all I have taken care to distance my work online with that in the studio but I guess some 'spillage' is inevitable.

A solitary reader occupied the Reading Room, pouring over one of the Sunday broadsheets, and it felt slightly uncomfortable to be mooching around the room whilst he relaxed over his paper. After we left we mused over whether he was actually a sailor, and if so, was that a professional engagement or enthusiastic amateur? Was he simply 'minding' the premises? Whatever - the room does have a strangely affecting ambience - a brooding sense of melancholy, so resonant of Sebald and, dare I say it, my own mood for much of my time nowadays.


No comments:

Post a Comment