Ex Terra Opes - at the Tarpey Gallery Autumn 2011

This has been set up to record the origination and creation of a body of new art works that I made between September 2010 and the summer of 2011 for an exhibition at the Tarpey Gallery in Castle Donington (opened 16th July).

Wednesday 9 March 2011

The Quiet Of The Country

One of the joys of a project like this is pitching up just outside a village you have never visited on a bright early spring day and pointing the camera at whatever takes your fancy. One of my rituals is to take a photograph of the signboard as I approach a location and today I turned the camera back towards the car before I walked off in search of some further images. I have now covered well over half of the 45 habitations that feature on my 'Official Guide' map.

Besides the smaller villages I am now turning my attentions to the larger places - today besides being in Snarestone, Swepstone and the delightfully named Newton Burgoland I spent time walking the streets of Ibstock. I only shot thumbnails on my small Lumix so will have to return there later. However I was struck by the dismal condition of this small town - with very few going concerns and a general air of neglect and a certain 'down at heel' quality. If there is a forgotten heartland in England I suspect this is it. Perhaps I am wrong but it is something I shall literally focus on when I return there to shoot in earnest.

No comments:

Post a Comment