Ex Terra Opes - at the Tarpey Gallery Autumn 2011

This has been set up to record the origination and creation of a body of new art works that I made between September 2010 and the summer of 2011 for an exhibition at the Tarpey Gallery in Castle Donington (opened 16th July).

Thursday 21 July 2011

The exhibition






Here are some shots of the installed work (for all those who cannot make it to the gallery) and some reflections on the project as a whole. Overall I feel confident that I pretty much achieved what I set out to do - to create a body of work that speaks to the locality I live and work in, to produce a series of inter related pictures that have both their own singularity, personality and character on the one hand and some sort of collective integrity on the other. The separation of the digitally produced collages (and the small selection, six, of the same) made more sense of the process and the use of the purely photographic images as postcards (an idea that I cannot claim as entirely my own!) tied the whole together. Of course some pictures could be stronger - particularly as the deadline loomed decisions for worse (and occasionally) better made the corpus more uneven than ideally I would have wished. But overall as an exercise in a form of visual psycho-geography and as a body of paintings I am happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment