Ex Terra Opes - at the Tarpey Gallery Autumn 2011

This has been set up to record the origination and creation of a body of new art works that I made between September 2010 and the summer of 2011 for an exhibition at the Tarpey Gallery in Castle Donington (opened 16th July).

Sunday 13 February 2011

Thinking it through



Driving back from the marvellous Bill Gear exhibition in Stow the other day I got to thinking hard about the show of this project. Although I have some forty or so works underway I was beginning to feel quite pressured by the need to complete 90...according to my initial rough plan that was arrived at by multiplying the 45 locations by two (an oil and a digital piece). The size of the gallery was also troubling me - however I looked at it the two main walls seemed ridiculously overcrowded in my mind's eye.

So I rethought the space earlier this week, remeasured and - surprise! - if I rehang to accommodate three high on each wall in two rows of eight on the longer and seven on the shorter...it means 45 can be displayed - one for each location. Not only does this obviate some of the pressure it will enable me to select down from a larger number of canvases with a regard to the totality of the image within the space.

Sometimes it pays not to be too rigid in one's thinking...

Pictures attached... Isley Walton and general view of the studio in early February


No comments:

Post a Comment