Ex Terra Opes - at the Tarpey Gallery Autumn 2011

This has been set up to record the origination and creation of a body of new art works that I made between September 2010 and the summer of 2011 for an exhibition at the Tarpey Gallery in Castle Donington (opened 16th July).

Thursday 6 January 2011

How a picture comes together




Part of the point of this diary is to show to some extent how each picture comes together. As part of my intention is to endeavour to keep a singularity within each it is important that I recognise where tropes begin to coalesce. Sealing off certain motifs and techniques is vital to this process. Typically though the process of making each starts with the taking of a set of images in a certain location, these are then subjected to a collaging process within Photoshop - for me it is critical that this doesn't become too sophisticated - and a print is arrived at. This is then taken into the studio and a loose transcription is made onto one of the standard linen canvases. At each stage the variability of the transcription, surfaces, colours and even further alterations to the forms are happily incorporated into the methodology. Describing all this makes it seem random and haphazard and I suppose this is so. However I make the choices and decisions with my own internal dialogue that at the very least means that it is directed by some sort of narrative albeit maybe one that only I am interested in! I picked up a catalogue at the studio today that had a statement in it from the artist Michael Finn. Finn was Principal at Falmouth School Of Art when I was a student there. I admired him and latterly have admired his art. He wrote that "I am rather in the dark about what I do except that it feels right for me and seems to be within a tradition that is nearly a century old and yet it is still possible to make something very personal, which I think is wonderful". I rather feel that it is wonderful too.

No comments:

Post a Comment